Go down
WygerBlitz
Date of sign up : 2019-03-12
View user profile

Ideas for External Customization and Camouflage on tanks Empty Ideas for External Customization and Camouflage on tanks

on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:32 pm
Hi Again.

I had a couple of ideas in mind how camouflage and 3d Decorations could be set up in game. 

As some of you know War Thunder has implemented 3D concealment (aka bushes) but it's pretty bad.

I would like to see at least something similar but better in the game so every tank would feel a bit more personal to each player.

I would suggest having 3 layers of concealment on Tanks.

1ST-MAIN LAYER----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is the main color/pattern of colors on tanks.

Overall main colors like Green(for USSR), Grey(For Germ) and white should be always unlocked, but more you play - More colors/patters you unlock.

One idea is to allow free spray paint across your machine to let players create their own unique camouflages, but still leave premade patterns as an option.

Only con is that it may involve some inappropriate things being drawn, but with good enough moderation and limitation on some strong colors (the ones that you would not usually find on tanks like pink and etc.), it can be kept under control.

2ND-UTILITY AND ARMOR-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second Layer would be made up of Extras like Tracks, Fuel Tanks, Tools boxes and Add-on armor.

It would be good to let Players decide where they want to put their tracks and utilities. Also, they could serve as an extra protection layer, but once hit those tracks would be unusable for repairs.

Also Player could equip Logs (to get out of mud) and fuel tanks as Jerry Cans (usually how germans transported fuel) or External Fuel tanks (more common on USSR vehicles).

You can could choose where to fit them - For example, attach them to the outside or keep them in storage (the room behind some German tank turrets(except External fuel tanks because they usually had premade places to be kept on)).

Armor 
(I think interior mods like gun, engine would require its own extra section and its own topic so I will ignore them right now)

Some tanks could be fitted with extra shields.

They would mostly include side panels, Turret panels, Extra armor on front. 

Possible armor mods for tanks that are in list:

• Panzer III - 20mm Frontal Shield (hull and turret) and 5mm Side panels for Turret and Hull. 

• Panzer IV - 5mm Turret panels (and maybe 5mm Side panels).

• KV-1  - 25mm Hull frontal panel

• StuG III - 5mm side panels.

• T-34 - 15mm Frontal Hull panel. (IIRC those 15mm panels were added by Stalingrad Tractor Factory workers for increased protection so there are even more reasons to add that one.)

Of course, there are more different mods but let's leave it at that for now.

3RD-FLORA----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 3rd layer would be made out of Leaves and Branches that you would be capable of putting on your tanks as a natural way to conceal it.
Of course, as with all above-mentioned parts, all of them would add weight on your Vehicle so to not fully sink in mud player would have to sacrifice something in order to not overload its tank.

Something that could be done better than in War Thunder is to give more freedom in customization. Rather than giving players Fat Bushes and limited 6 slots for them - they should get some simple branches and camo net leaves to put on their tanks. Its better to make those parts small so they could be placed in more different varieties. 

Ideas for External Customization and Camouflage on tanks OGiBRwq

But thats all from me. 

As always, Keep it up Beral.

Member of Devils Of Death  Squadron
Hardmoor
View user profile

Ideas for External Customization and Camouflage on tanks Empty Re: Ideas for External Customization and Camouflage on tanks

on Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:38 am
hey,
i think customizing your vehicle is a great idea, and, as you said, players should not get the ability to freely place them on the vehicle
As to why i would like to go into more detail with your example of Warthunder:
1. it looks absolutely terrible if players decide to plaster their tanks with foliage and junk to cover up weakspots and just leave space for viewing out
2. putting stuff on your tank should always be in a way that is actually secured in some way (in specific holders/with ropes or cables to attachment points), you should not be allowed to just weld stuff on your tank -> that should either be a predefined upgrade or in some cases a different vehicle
3. clipping should be kept to a minimum and is most easily resolved with predefined mounting points.

as you said these objects should have a damagemodell and should be able to get destroyed.
WygerBlitz
View user profile

Ideas for External Customization and Camouflage on tanks Empty Re: Ideas for External Customization and Camouflage on tanks

on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:43 am
I don't see any issues with covering up weakspots. Thats something that is logical to do and something that was done. In WT only thing you have to worry about when placing Bushes is your sight (and that's only in Sim mode). In SG you can't just drive and operate from gun sights position; also cupola, driver viewport, turret side views and many more have to be taken in consideration.

Overall I agree with other points. Fuel tanks and utilities could have premade spot or spots.
Beral
Date of sign up : 2019-02-11
View user profile

on Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:30 pm
Hello @WygerBlitz, thank you for your suggestion. The rank system will allow you to equip your tank with weapons, armor, camouflages and the other stuff that you commented, so it is a feature that it is planned but in a different way.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum